So, you’re well on the road to being convinced that an electric bike is a great option for you? Congratulations! You’re about to make a purchase that will truly enrich your life, so now you need to get the right e-bike for your cycling and lifestyle needs.
It is important to buy your electric bike from a bike shop with good experience of selling and servicing electric bikes. Try-before-you-buy! It’s really helpful to test cycle a few models, on a hill if possible, as it’s good to feel the difference between 2-3 bikes that are suitable for you before you make your choice.
Some key things to consider and ask about are:
- Get a bike that is the right size and type of frame for you
- Consider how far you want to travel on a single charge – this will determine the battery you need
- If you’re living in a very hilly area or wish to explore lovely quiet mountain passes, ask about the best motor for you
- A bike with seat and fork suspensions and a gel saddle are great comfort factors if your roads are rough
- Get the best bike you can afford (perhaps talk to your local Credit Union!) – one that has a good reputation and one for which you will easily be able to get parts into the future.
After buying, look after your bicycle’s maintenance and safety:
- Check your tyre pressure regularly and keep them pumped to the recommended pressure
- Have your bike serviced yearly or every 1,000km, whichever occurs soonest
- Make sure your lights are working properly.
E-bike adventures and routes to explore
Here is a selection of adventures and routes that await if you buy an electric bike. If you want to travel further afield, you may need a good bike carrier. Generally, because of their weight, electric bikes need a bike carrier that is attached to a towbar, especially if you are exploring as a couple and carrying two e-bikes. See ideas for places to go here.
If you need any more convincing about how wonderful e-bikes can be, these testimonials from a wide range of owners should answer many of your questions.